Filing your tax returns in a timely manner should be observed to avoid penalties and fees. You can also get a good impression from the ATO if you do not fall behind your schedule. Tax returns cover the financial year from July 1 to July 30. The due for lodgement of tax returns is by October 31. There are various ways you can lodge your tax return and the most convenient and easiest way is by using MyTax. Since MyTax is web-based, you have the option to lodge your tax return from any device be it your computer, tablet or smartphone. Make sure you have a myGov account linked to the ATO to use this option.
Why Lodge Online
- By late August, the information from your bank, employer and government agencies will be pre-filled and what better way to do this than to opt for the online option.
- When it comes to protecting your sensitive information, myTax uses online banking encryption to ensure that your information is safe from data breaches.
- Regardless of the time you wish to lodge your tax return, myTax is available 24/7.
- You can also get your refund within 2 weeks.
- Even sole traders can take advantage of myTax because it is available for all individuals who wish to lodge their tax return online.
The upgrades and features to expect in 2016 include:
- fully integrated tools and calculators
- ability to amend or lodge prior year returns
- myDeductions data automatically loads into your return
- new online tools to records capital gains and depreciation
- helpful messages that will guide you through lodgement
Pre-filling your online tax return
Pre-filling your tax return means partially completing the tax return by automatically loading information through myTax. The information you will find in your pre-filled tax return are the current year information from the organisations that report to the ATO. These usually include government agencies, employers and banks. The data from your previous tax returns and account activity are also supplied.
You can review your pre-filled information and supply any missing details. You can also update incorrect details. The purpose of pre-filling is to make the process of lodging your tax return easier. It also ensures that the information is complete and accurate. Once you report organisations report to the ATO, the pre-filling information will be available within a couple of days. The information is made available by early August.
Pre-filling is beneficial because it enables you to resolve discrepancies before you decide on lodging your tax return. Checking tax returns for any discrepancies is important because the ATO checks that the information you have provided matches the information your report on your tax return.